The foundation of Georgetown High School
Georgetown High School was officially opened on January 10 1887, in a temporary space at the Chapel Street Public School. Georgetown High School was opened on its present site in 1889, cost $12 000 to build, and was designed by the famous Canadian architect Mr. Edward J. Lennox. His other buildings included the Old Toronto City Hall, Casa Loma, the King Edward Hotel, and Massey Hall. Students paid an annual tuition fee of $5.00 for the privilege of attending GHS classes. Students came from Georgetown, Norval, Stewarttown, Glen Williams, Acton, Rockwood, Milton, Caledon, Erin, Palermo, Hornby, Eden Mills, Cheltenham, Palgrave, Brampton, Brantford and Toronto. Many students arrived on the Radial Suburban Railroad that stopped at the back of the school. By the year 1913, the school had an enrolment of 120 students that were taught by 4 staff members.
Georgetown High School Class of 1945-46
Going to Secondary School was not compulsory in the early thirties. It was a privilege open only to students whose parents could afford to send them. We didn't have the options now available; the choice was academic or business and it prepared us quite adequately to pursue post secondary education. (June Durrant - 2009 GDHS Hall of Fame Inductee)
The Principals of Georgetown High School were:
Mr. M.S. Clark (1887 – 1890)
Mr. R.A. Barron (1890 – 1891)
Mr. A.H. Gibbard (1891 – 1897)
Mr. R.D. Coutts (1897 – 1914)
Mr. R. Ross (1914 – 1935)
Mr. J.L. Lambert (1935 – 1965)
Mr. W. Carpenter (1942 – 1945 while Mr. Lambert was on leave)
The Principals of Georgetown District High School were:
Mr. J.L. Lambert (1935 – 1965)
Mr. D.F. Turner (1965 – 1968)
Mr. M.J. Furlong (1968 – 1981)
Mr. D.G. Baker (1981 – 1985)
Mrs. B. Singleton (1985 – 1990)
Mr. B. Davies (1990 – 1995)
Mrs. M. Jacob (1995 – 1999)
Mr. K. Rupka (1999 – 2004)
Mr. R. Maruya (2004 – 2008)
Mr. S. Miller (2008 – 2009)
Mrs. M. Gardner (2009 – 2010)
Mr. B. O'Hearn (2010)
Mr. N. Varricchio (2010 - 2015)
Mr. P. Daignault (2015 - 2018)
Mr. M. Gallant (2018-present)
The first reunion was held in 1911 (25th), followed by the 50th in 1937, and the Centennial Celebration in 1987. This is our 125th year of serving the changing needs of the Georgetown community. Our students have had continued their success in Canadian, and international Universities, Colleges and Apprenticeship Programs.
Original text by Mr. J. Watson, edited by Mr. R. Keast, 2012.
Did you know...
In 1887, 69 students attended GHS and were taught by 2 teachers.
Students from the 1920s to 1950s, still remember climbing up the outside ladder to their 3rd floor science classes, listening to the school bell being rung by the principal, cutting class to swim in Wilber Lake, and peering out from the Crow's Nest to view our growing town.
In 1959, the original school building was demolished and a newer version was opened in 1960.
21 students and 1 teacher have made the ultimate sacrifice in Canada's Wars.
Annually, a graduating GDHS business student is awarded a bursary, set up as a thank you from the Armenian community. Georgetown, and its residents, rescued many young orphans from the Armenian Genocide of 1915-1923. Welcomed with open arms these young survivors attended GHS after learning English at the Georgetown Boy's Farm in Cedarvale Park.
Our school magazine has been called: The Blast, The Echo, The Challenge, and The Rebel.
The most recent renovations began in 2009 and finished in 2011.